- This event has passed.
The Art of Butchery – Pork
September 28, 2014 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm$150
Back by popular demand, The Art of Butchery will leave you with a ton of knowledge on butchering an animal. Your guide, Jamie Waldron, has dedicated 15 years of his life to mastering the art and skills of butchery. Through working, learning, researching and teaching, he seeks to revive an age-old craft that has fallen out of step in current methods of purchasing and preparing food.
The most recent workshop was featured on CBC’s The Sunday Edition with Michael Enright.
This class will be hands-on and you’ll be taking home 20 lbs of fresh pork meat, wrapped for storage. Jamie will be teaching us how to break the hog into ‘primals’, which are the first cuts that represent the largest portions of the animal. This is followed by the ‘retail cuts’ which, for instance, are the shoulder (boston and picnic), loin (chops and loin roasts), belly (bacon, pancetta), leg (ham, proccuttio) and finally the head (headcheese, guanciale). As always, this class is hands-on.
You want to class this class because:
- You’re a rural or urban homesteader who wants to learn how to butcher your own livestock or that of a local farmers
- You’re a home chef and want to become more familiar with the anatomy of a pig and proper processing techniques
- You’re a doer and are curious about the butchery process and yearning to learn a valuable, hands-on skil
The pig comes from a local and sustainable farm called Keystone Farm. We believe that this farm represents the best possible life for a pig.
You will want to attend this workshop if:
- You’re a doer who’s curious about butchery and want to learn a valuable skill.
- You’re a home chef who wants to become more familiar with the anatomy of a lamb and proper processing techniques.
- You’re a rural or urban homesteader who wants to learn how to butcher your own livestock or that of local farmers.
#1- Access to a professional teacher with with extensive experience in butchery. Jamie has been butchering for over 15 years and is an author of a book on home butchery. He is also an amazing facilitator.
#2- Local and sustainable pig. We choose to support farmers who honour and respect the ‘piginess of the pig’.
#3- Small class sizes and a whole pig . There will only be 8 people maximum in this class.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about specifics of the workshop a few days before the workshop, including a reminder of what to bring. You do not need to register through Eventbrite to be a participant of this workshop. If you do not wish to register this way, please contact email@example.com. We can accept cash and cheque.
Born in South Detroit (Windsor, Ontario) and raised in the small rural town of Harrow, Jamie got his start at the butcher block in a small county butcher shop as a teenager. Since then, Jamie has dedicated over 15 years to learning the art of butchery; working, researching, and practising an age old craft. He’s worked at some of the top butcher shops in Canada. Jamie’s partnered with fine restaurants in Ontario, hosting informative and delicious butcher block dinner series, where he educates diners on the meat they’re consuming. Through his partnerships with ethical farms, he continues to offer direct to order meats through his website.
When: Sunday, September 28th, 10am-2pm
Where: Artisanale French Country Cooking, 214 Woolwich Street, Guelph, ON
Cost: $150 including 20 lbs of local and sustainable meat, all materials, and lunch. There will be a maximum of 8 participants and we will be working on a whole pig.
To Bring: A sharp boning knife and your favourite apron. You will have the option of purchasing Jamie’s newest book Home Butchering Handbook for $20.
Register online at http://www.mingaskillbuilding.ca/workshop/the-art-of-butchery/