- This event has passed.
Everything You Need To Know About Raising Backyard Chickens
May 9, 2015 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pmCANCELLED
Join us for an exploration of raising hens in a backyard that is being transformed into an urban farm. Backyard hens are a powerful way to connect with easy, low-cost, delicious, and nutritious local food. You can have fresh eggs every day, just outside your back door!
You will learn about:
- where to get hens
- where hens live
- how to keep hens healthy
- what hens eat
- what nesting boxes they like best
- what kind of roosts they like to sleep on
- how to protect them from predators
- how to keep hens in the winter
- how to pick up a hen to check for health and happiness
You will want to take this class if:
- You’ve thought about getting backyard hens, but aren’t sure where to start.
- You like to learn through hands-on activities.
- You want to connect and exchange ideas with people in your neighborhood.
You will get:
- Everything you need to know to set-up hens in your own backyard
- Answers to common backyard chicken questions
- A chance to connect with other like-minded people in your community
You’ll take home a list of books and other resources that will simplify your project and shorten the time from start to finish, so you can enjoy a fresh egg from your own chicken in no time.
Mary-Kate Gilbertson and Mike Craig live in downtown Guelph and are the owners of Backyard Bok Boks. Mary-Kate has been an environmental consultant for 12 years, and is a self-confessed starter, community builder, and people connector. Mike has taught a high school environmental leadership program for 17 years, and loves teaching through experience and adventure. Mike & Mary have started a number of entrepreneurial projects, and are in the process of transforming their house and yard into an urban farm. They are passionate about creating community through local food, and have raised backyard bok boks (as their daughter first called them) for the past 10 years.
When: Saturday, May 9th, 1:00-4:00pm
Where: 47 Meadowview Ave, Guelph, ON
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about the specifics of the workshop a few days before, including a reminder of what to bring.
** Please also note that you don’t need to register through Eventbrite. If you would rather pay by cash or cheque, contact email@example.com.