- This event has passed.
Homemade Chevre Cheese
March 17, 2014 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm$20
In this 2 hour, hands-on cheese making workshop, Greg Stevenson will take you through the entire 36 hour chèvre making process. The workshop will focus on a classic soft goat cheese. The milk comes directly from Greg’s hobby farm.
You will learn about:
- various yields and recipes for chèvre
- how to spice a Boursin style cheese
- how to make spiced chèvre balls
- various recipes for whey
- where to source cheese cultures and supplies
You will want to attend this workshop if:
- Making cheese is something you’ve always wanted to learn, but you have no idea where to start.
- You would like to to meet new people in your community who share your interests.
- Learning a new skill is empowering.
You will get:
- The opportunity to learn how to make chèvre under the guidance of an experienced cheese maker. You will take home your newly acquired cheese making knowledge, and know that you can do it by yourself.
- A fresh spreadable chèvre and a plate of cheese balls to share with your family and friends.
Course includes: all materials, equipment, samples and cheese to take home
Greg Stevenson is a passionate hobby farmer who raises goats, chickens and pigs with the hopes of living a substantially, self-sufficient lifestyle. He makes goat milk soap and goat milk cheeses. Greg gained many useful skills during his year long “100 Metre Diet” where he lived almost entirely off what he was able to produce on his 4.5 acre hobby farm. He loves to share what he has learned with other like-minded people.
When: Monday, March 17th, 6:30-8:30pm
Where: Artisanale French Country Cooking, 214 Woolwich Street, Guelph
Cost: Pay-What-You-Think-Its-Worth. A $20 deposit holds your spot. You get to enjoy the whole workshop. Then at the end of the workshop, you’ll have the opportunity to pay us what you felt the workshop was worth. We’d normally charge $80 for this workshop but Minga also wants to keep workshop accessible to those who cannot afford $80. Also, the workshop may be more valuable to some than others and why should you both pay the same amount? We are challenging you to think deeply and honestly about the long term value of what the workshop taught you and what it will bring you in your life. We trust our community, and the excellence of our workshops, enough to let you determine what you’d like to pay. Pay-What-You-Think-Its-Worth makes no judgements about the financial abilities of the participants involved. Its an honest
The gift economy represents a shift from consumption to contribution, transaction to trust, scarcity to abundance and isolation to community.
– Charles Eisenstein
To Bring: Apron
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about the specifics of the workshop a few days before, including a reminder of what to bring.
** Please also note that you don’t need to register through Eventbrite. If you would rather pay by cash or cheque, contact email@example.com.