- This event has passed.
Make Your Own Green Cleaners
March 25, 2014 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm$15
On a typical cleaning day in the average Canadian home, chemical levels in the indoor air can be hundreds to thousand times higher than the outdoor air in the most polluted cities. And the majority of the products that we use are not tested for their long-term impacts on our health or the environment.
This class will give you the tools to totally clean up your cleaning routine, and give you peace of mind with the products you use. Detoxify your home and improve your indoor air quality by learning how to make your own green cleaning products and identifying brands that are truly ecologically and human health friendly.
You will learn about:
- Why conventional products are to be avoided.
- Alternatives to commonly used household cleaning products, antibacterial soaps, and air fresheners.
- How simple and inexpensive it is to make these products yourself with ingredients you probably already have at home.
You will want to take this class if:
- You have any health concerns like respiratory issues or skin rashes and want to have a healthier home.
- You are looking for eco-friendly alternatives that actually work.
- You would like to save money on environmentally friendly cleaners.
You will get:
- To take home 4 products we’ll make in class: all-purpose cleaner, tub and tile cleanser, laundry detergent, and a beautiful room spray.
- To learn to identify a truly green product and avoid being tricked by “greenwashing”.
- Simple recipes you can make yourself at home.
- You don’t have to be a scientist to make your own cleaning products. The recipes are simple with easily recognizable ingredients.
- These products actually work. The instructor has been perfecting them for her own use over several years of experimenting.
- It doesn’t take all day. You can whip these up in as little as 2 minutes per product.
Lauren Mangion is a sustainability educator from Calgary, Canada. Lauren’s personal life and work are intimately intertwined, both being experiments in more sustainable, lower-footprint urban living.
Through Conscious Home, a sustainability education service, Lauren educates and inspires her fellow Calgarians with tools and resources toward reducing the individual ecological footprint. She has self published a book on non-toxic living and DIY products, and has taught a significant number of people how to transition to healthier products.
In her own life, Lauren pursues greater self-sufficiency, using permaculture in her yard-turned-garden to produce higher yields through understanding nature’s systems and to extend the growing season in a region graced with 6-7 months of winter. Lauren always asks herself if she can make something before buying it, and as a rule, consumes less and enjoys life more.
When: Tuesday, March 25th, 7:00pm – 9:00pm
Where: Artisanale French Country Cooking, 214 Woolwich Street, Guelph
Cost: Pay-What-You-Think-Its-Worth. A $15 deposit holds your spot. You get to enjoy the whole workshop. Then at the end of the workshop, you’ll have the opportunity to make an additional contribution to pay us what you felt the workshop was worth. In our past workshop, participants paid between $20-$50 total for the workshop, with the average being $40. We do this because the workshop may be more valuable to some than others and why should you both pay the same amount? We also believe in changing the way that business is conducted and ultimately challenging our economic system. We are challenging you to think deeply and honestly about the long term value of what the workshop taught you and what it will bring you in your life. We trust our community, and the excellence of our workshops, enough to let you determine what you’d like to pay. Pay-What-It’s-Worth pricing makes no judgements about the financial abilities of the participants involved.
The gift economy represents a shift from consumption to contribution, transaction to trust, scarcity to abundance and isolation to community.
– Charles Eisenstein
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed cla
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about the specifics of the workshop a few days before, including a reminder of what to bring.
** Please also note that you don’t need to register through Eventbrite. If you would rather pay by cash or cheque, contact email@example.com.