- This event has passed.
Natural Soap Making
April 27, 2014 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pmSOLD OUT
What is soap? Join us on Sunday April 27th to learn all the bubbly details of traditional soap making. Discover the differences and benefits of “real” natural soap vs. the commercial brands through an interactive, hands-on workshop. Then learn the techniques, ingredients and equipment needed to make your own sudsy bars.
As we travel the slippery slope of soap information, we will touch on some fun science (the backbone of soap), the differences in ingredients, and the methods and techniques to create your own custom bars. Participants will customize, mix and mold your own bars to take home. You will also take home some soap that is ready to use while yours is curing.
Get a taste of what you will be doing in this short video.
You will learn:
- The benefits of “real” soap vs. commercial brands.
- Ingredients and equipment needed to make your own soap.
- The process and techniques of traditional soap making, through hands-on training.
- Creative ways to custom design your own soap and other tips and tricks.
You will want to attend if:
- You are looking for better and safer options instead of the commercial brands of soap.
- You, or someone you care about, has sensitivities and you’re looking for alternatives.
- You want to learn a sustainable, beneficial DIY craft.
- You want to learn a fun hobby to create personalized gifts.
You will get:
- Hands-on guidance from an experienced and professional soap maker.
- Two custom-made batches of soap to take home.
- Some ready-to-use soap while yours is curing.
- A handout that includes all of the information covered and places to go to find out what you don’t know.
- An opportunity to purchase ingredients that are not readily available so you can continue to create at home.
My passion, or you might say obsession, for soap making came about only a few years ago. While seeking alternatives for household cleaners and laundry products, I discovered the craft of soap making. I soon came to realize the benefits of “real” soap and how much better and safer it is for your skin, the environment and funny enough, your wallet. My crafty nature kicked in and before you know it, my basic rustic soap bars started to look more like something edible.
Soap can be left natural and very basic or by simply adding natural colorants, botanicals and fragrance, it can be transformed into a work of art. This was becoming way too much fun!
My passion has led me to create Serenity Soaps, a home-based business, creating natural soaps and bath products. We have a very natural soap line, but also the Fun and Fancy soaps too.
Born and raised in Guelph and after raising four children, I currently work full time as the manager of two retail wine shops and run my soap business in my off hours. I have connected with so many residents who have discovered the benefits of using “real” soap, which I sell at local markets, such as the Guelph Wednesday Downtown Market last summer and at the Aberfoyle Farmers Market. My soaps are also available in Budds on Wyndham St., at Creative Edge on Quebec St. and at Wellington Brewery on Woodlawn Rd.
When: Sunday, April 27th, 1:00pm-4:00pm
Where: Artisanale French Country Cooking, 214 Woolwich Street, Guelph
Cost: $80 – Includes two batches of soap to take home, molds, ready made soap, and recipes – $200 value
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about the specifics of the workshop a few days before, including a reminder of what to bring.
** Please also note that you do not need to register through Eventbrite to participate in the workshop. If you would rather pay by cash or cheque, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** If this workshop is financially inaccessible to you, please contact Minga at email@example.com