- This event has passed.
Planning A Successful Home Food Garden
April 11, 2015 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm$30
Join Bethany and Seb of Zocalo Organics for an informative tour of their organic farm, and a ground-breaking (pun intended!) workshop to help you bring your gardening to the next level.
Beth and Seb will take beginner and experienced gardeners on a journey to explore the many ways you can approach garden planning. They will include concepts from permaculture, biodynamics, space-intensive growing, and will share ecological gardening methods and stories from the Organic Farming Community.
- come up with and review your 2015 garden plan with the help of Seb and Bethany
- learn about growing seedlings and be introduced to season-extension methods (including winter growing/storing!)
- learn how to prioritize and select crops that meet your needs
- learn how to monitor pests, diseases, and soil health
- learn how to monitor and maintain your garden
- connect with other gardeners in the community
- learn how to use “row-covers” to protect certain plants from pests and frost
- where to buy seeds and supplies and how to budget for your garden
- and more!
Our philosophy is that each person gardens for different reasons and each garden is a unique expression of that person. Some bring gardens into the world to involve children in learning about plants. Some use their garden as a laboratory to explore unique varieties of plants that can’t be found in grocery stores. Some use gardening to save money, as therapy, or as an artistic expression. We will help you set realistic goals for your garden and help you bring your unique garden to life for the 2015 season!
You will want to attend this workshop if:
- you want to grow a garden in 2015!
- You want to play and have fun with your garden planning process
- you want join an inspired community that is working together to create healthy, abundant, and beautiful food gardens in 2015!
You will get:
- a comprehensive and personalized garden plan made during the workshop
- a container planted with a few things to take home
- access to a wide array of resources that will keep you inspired through the season
- a tour of a beautiful farm and time spent in a warm greenhouse with baby plants (our seedlings)!
Following the workshop you are invited to join us for our monthly Community Potluck. Our potlucks are always a wonderful celebration of good food, new friends, and rural revitalization!
When: Saturday, April 11th from 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Where: Zocalo Organic Farm – 5881 Third Line, Erin, Ontario N0B 1Z0
Cost: $30 includes a garden plan, and a container planted with seedlings