- This event has passed.
Rhythm All Around Us – Percussion from Recycled Materials
October 4, 2015 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm$83
Join us for a rhythmic morning of building percussion instruments out of recycled and reclaimed materials. Come to have your eyes and ears opened to the possibility of anything being transformed into an instrument.
In this hands-on workshop, John will take us through the step by step process of making a number of percussion instruments. This will includes sawing, sanding and gluing, so come prepared to get a little messy. We will talk about options for priming and decorating options to further beautify these instruments.
At the end of the workshop participants are invited to celebrate their instrument making by gathering together in a circle to make rhythmic music together.
This workshop would be a great resource for educators such as teachers, youth workers, camp councilors, drum circle facilitators, sound practitioners, and anyone who would like to incorporate rhythm into their lives.
- How to see everything as a vessel for rhythm
- How to make a great sounding hand drum from PVC plumbing pipe with a goatskin head
- How to make a soup can rattle
- How to make a corrugated plastic hose shaker
- How to make a didgeridoo (optional, extra $25)
You should attend this workshop if:
- If you would like to build a variety of percussion instruments and share the joy of music
- If you want to bring new life to construction site reject material, crutches, soup cans or nearly anything else
- If you want to lead others in making unique instruments made out of “junk”
- If you have a heartbeat; everyone has rhythm
You will get:
- 3-4 percussion instruments, plus clamps and skills to make more instruments on your own
- Inspiration for many other types of instruments to make
- A taste of the joy of music together
When: Sunday, October 4th 9am-12pm
Where: eMERGE Guelph, 55 Wyndham St N (in Old Quebec Street Mall)
Methods of Registration: Eventbrite (below) or you can pay by cheque, cash, or e-transfer prior to the workshop. Email Amber at email@example.com.
John runs Earth Tones Studio in Guelph and leads instrument making workshops all over Ontario. He teaches how to make instruments using recycled materials to individuals and groups such as teachers, camp councilors, drum circle facilitators, expressive arts and sound practitioners. He teaches other make-your-own workshops on a variety of hand drums and frame drums as well as percussion and string instruments crafted from hard shelled gourds. John facilitates drumming and soundscapes for those who respond to the call and the dance of the drum beat. He is creative and artistic and is always coming up with new junk percussion ideas for fun and entertainment. John is also a certified Roots of Rhythm teacher and provides an innovative cross-curricular program that offers training to both teachers and students in fundamental rhythms both ancient and modern. You can check out his website at http://www.earthtonesstudio.org/.
- Minga will provide a 100% refund for workshops cancelled by Minga.
- If a registrant cancels a workshop with more than 48 hours notice, a 100% refund will be issued.
- If a registrant cancels with less than 48 hours notice or does not show up, no refund will be issued.
- The above policies apply for pre-registered workshops. Refunds or credits will not be issued for a missed class.
* Please note that we’ll be sending out information about specifics of the workshop a few days before the workshop.