- This event has passed.
Transition Streets Facilitator Training
January 11, 2014 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
What is Transition Streets?
Transition Streets is bringing neighbours together to get better acquainted, while learning collaboratively how to save money, reduce environmental footprints, and empower them to work together to create positive and long term environmental and social change. This award-winning program has been adapted for Guelph from the famous Transition Streets program in Totnes, England. Transition Streets Guelph is a collaboration between eMerge Guelph, Transition Guelph, and researchers at the University of Guelph.
What would role of a Facilitator look like?
You will be supporting families and “street-level” neighbourhood groups in conducting their biweekly or monthly Transition Streets gatherings (depending on what the street decides). During the gatherings, your role will include:
- Guiding the group through the workbook and helping the group stay focused on the topics
- Ensuring that everyone’s voice is heard
- Ensuring that the group honours its communication commitments
- Keeping the meetings on track and timely
- Keeping the gatherings fun, lighthearted and positive
- Encouraging the group to make its own decisions, but guiding them towards the more effective ones suggested (you are not the decision-maker for the group)
- Offering resources and suggestions when people need support
- Distributing the research study material according to procedure
- Documenting or ensuring that the group has a scribe (you are not a note-taker)
In preparation before and after the gatherings, your role will include:
- Reviewing the workbook Chapter for the upcoming gathering
- Familiarizing yourself with the Resources sections in the workbook
- Familiarizing yourself with any unfamiliar concepts found in the Chapter (The TS and (e)merge Guelph working groups and action teams will be on hand to support you with this!)
Approximately 7 months; 1-2 hours each week.
Training and Compensation
This is a volunteer position, but you will leave with invaluable high-level facilitation experience. You will be fostering positive social and environmental change while growing your own community-embedded outreach skills. A full-day training session will be scheduled for all facilitators when recruitment is closed. Lunch and beverages will be provided.
Date: Saturday, January 11th from 9:30am -4:00pm @ eMerge office – 15B Cork Street
Please RSVP to Ami at email@example.com