The Transition Treemobile
TreeMobile is now revving up for its 5th year!
TREEMOBILE IS TAKING ORDERS FOR SPRING!
TreeMobile is back for its 5th year! Yes, TreeMobiles full of plants are coming your way this spring!
Check out the great selection of food trees and plants this year! Delivered to your door by cheerful volunteers, or picked up at the Guelph Urban Organic Farm.
Have you ever wanted fruit trees in your yard, but were unsure about what or where to plant, or how best to obtain them? What about care and feeding? Or are you thinking about planting some berry shrubs like currant or raspberry, but balk at the cost of commercially available plants? The Transition Guelph TreeMobile can help!
The TreeMobile is a volunteer-run project of Transition Guelph that can provide fruit-bearing trees and shrubs at low cost, deliver them to your door, and even do the planting!*
The goals of the Transition Guelph TreeMobile are:
- To increase our community’s resilience by planting more food-bearing trees and shrubs in the urban environment;
- To increase the urban tree canopy, thus improving air quality, soil stability, temperature moderation and carbon sequestration;
- To accomplish the above by making hardy, disease-resistant, climate-appropriate, and flavourful food-bearing trees and shrubs available at reasonable cost; and
Oh, and there’s another goal too… to increase FUN!
That’s what our Treemobile volunteers are doing: getting out into the fresh air, working together to make things grow, learning about tree planting and care, helping our environment and our community, and having a blast doing it! Want to increase your fun level? You can volunteer too!
Would you like to join our Treemobile volunteer team? Let us know! We are looking for planners, order-sorters and planters. Thank you for your interest!
Since 2011, TreeMobile has planted 2170 fruit trees and plants! In 2014 we partnered with Transition Toronto for the first annual Toronto TreeMobile. We now have one site for both cities, so you may pick up plants at whichever site is closer, if you are outside of the delivery zones.
* We’ll dig the hole, too, but hole-digging services are intended mostly for customers who are unable to do it themselves. We encourage those who are able to do so to pre-dig the hole(s), if possible. The Treemobile volunteers can do the planting, add compost and mulch, and do an initial watering if you have a water source available. Or, if you wish, you can also pick up your own plants on TreeMobile day.
EDIBLE GARDEN GRANT WINNERS
The first ever TreeMobile and Orchard People grant is now closed. Thanks to all for their amazing submissions! Winners will be announced on the TreeMobile website http://www.transitiontreemobile.org/. Don’t miss the Awards Presentation at the Candlelight Potluck at 7:30 March 28!
Thursday March 31: TreeMobile Ordering closes unless sold out earlier
Sunday April 26: TreeMobile Toronto plant pick-ups and deliveries
Sunday May 3: TreeMobile Guelph plant pick-ups and deliveries
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
- Check out the site if you’d like to volunteer, and send us an email.
- Tweet, share, and facebook it!
- Forward the site to those who may want to apply for grants next year.
Download the poster and post it in your neighbourhood – more fruit means better pollination, happier bees, greater resilience, and community sharing.
- Sign up to volunteer by emailing email@example.com. Please label your email “TreeMobile (Guelph/Toronto) Volunteer: (Plan/sort/plant)
- Check out tree care tips at Orchard People, or download their free booklet
- Purchase a tree care ebook from Orchard People
- Read this blog about TreeMobile